15 Nov 2011

Battlestar Galactica Fangirl


I revealed my super nerd status last week with my Star Trek Halloween costume post, and I'll expand the further reaches of my geekdom today. I'm a recent fan of Battlestar Galactica, I rented all of the new series in Moviedrome a while back(you can get a dvd series box set for a tenner for a week), and blasted through them at an unnatural speed. I would hear the closing credits music, and then guiltily watch 'just one more episode'.

For those of you who don't know the basic plot, there is a planet called Caprica whose population is wiped out by the evil Cylons (of coarse robots who they created, who now want to kill them, the staple plot of all sci-fi). Now a raggle taggle group of survivors roam the galaxy searching for the fabled planet Earth where they hope to find a home. In between all that there are some Cylons who look like people, and nobody knows who they are, some sexy pilots who drink and gamble too much, and a crazy scientist.

Basically it kicks ass, and if you are into sci-fi and you've never seen it, go watch it now. It's so good I wish I'd never watched it, so I could watch it for the first time again(a twisted logic that means I really like something). I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, but even I know that it's up it's own arse a lot and can be really self-righteous. Battlestar isn't, they made a sci-fi programme and decided to leave in the grit.


Speaking of the crazy scientists, I'm really glad that in the remake they replaced him with a far more handsome version!


After watching all of the new series and loving every minute of it I got the original series in HMV for a bargaintastic €20. It's a very different entity altogether, the plot is a lot less complex, but for it's time it was pretty amazing sci-fi. It's like the charming old Granddad version of the new one. It does have the benifit of having the lovely eye candy of a young Dirk Benedict, but I could have done without the silly kid and his robot dog though!


2 comments:

  1. It's great. Remind me to tell you about the time I was out drinking with Baltar and Chief Tyrol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaguely remember that photo of you with Baltar...now that I'm a fan I'm insanely jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Nice Day Designs loves hearing what you have to say...please leave a comment below

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...