18 Feb 2012

Book Tales

Photo By Brendan Crowe
It's been really nice over the past while talking to customers about what they're reading, you meet lots of different types of people from all walks of life at a second hand book stall. At my craft stall I rarely had male customers, whereas with Bazaar Tales they are in the majority. Some people like to nod and say hi and browse for about 10/20 mins. Others like to get into a big in depth conversation about what they like to read, films made from books, comparisons, disappointing endings, and page turners that keep you up all night.

Even though I've been an avid reader since my mother a library card for me at the age of 4, I still feel like I've a million books to catch up on, there just aren't enough hours in the week. I read 'Hearts in Atlantis' recently and one of the characters gets an adult library card for his 12th birthday, it brought back lots of memories for me as the character realised what a fantastic present this was. I remember what a big deal it was to get my books from the adult section and to be allowed to pick what I wanted.

I've had some lovely moment at the stall when people find books that they've been looking for for ages. Or when kids come along with their parents and beg them for a few euro to buy a book, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. There was a teenage girl a few weeks back who spent about €25 on a bunch on Stephen King books, she went away looking like it was her birthday and Christmas all rolled into one.

Also because it's a book stall I can get away with reading at the market for the first time in 5 years! This makes me very happy. Two weeks ago I was a little hungover and I picked up Boudica and by the end of the day I was thoroughly stuck into it

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Ruth, whether it's clothes designing or second-hand book selling you always seem to get a huge tail of television publicity with you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I forgot to explain what this picture was about...these guys were making a documentary about the lessons you learn in life and they were asking lots of people what their thoughts were.
      I did find it funny that I had a photographer taking my picture while a camera crew interviewed me...I'm really not that famous haha!

      Delete

Nice Day Designs loves hearing what you have to say...please leave a comment below

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...